My first day of intermittent fasting is in the books. I woke up slightly later than usual and headed downstairs to start my day. Not starting with a cup of coffee was odd, since that’s been my daily habit for years. Instead I grabbed my big water cup and went to check emails.

It wasn’t until around 9 a.m. that the tummy was grumbling. It was mostly because I smelled the Nutter Butters I served Bubs for breakfast, but that last hour was definitely the hardest. Around 9:50 I started prepping the cooktop for my egg muffin sandwich: an English muffin topped with a fried egg, slice of cheese and some leftover pork tenderloin. It was the best tasting breakfast I’ve had in a loooong time.

There was something else of interest: When the kids were ready for lunch, I wasn’t hungry yet. I didn’t get hungry for lunch until around 2 p.m.

I have to admit I cheated a little last night. Dinner was ready and eaten by my 6 p.m. food curfew, but the most amazing peach cobbler still had 30 minutes in the oven until it was ready. I finished my bowl at 6:30 p.m.


But do I notice anything different yet?

Funny to throw that question out there. In fact, yes. For one, I’m drinking a ton more water so I’m peeing a lot more. Also I wanted to see if that low-grade fever was still around this morning. 98.6. Not sure if the two are related, but it is definitely a peculiar development.

I have a strategy for this new experiment. I asked my Facebook cohort for their feedback on the 16/8 fasting thing and many of them described a plateau after a short amount of time. My strategy is to first get in the routine of the 16-hour fast while eating whatever I would normally eat. Hopefully I’ll see some sort of results. If I do, and those results start to plateau, then my next step would be carb reduction (remember that 60g of carbs per day goal from the wayback beginning?). If there are results that then plateau at that point I’ll add in more exercise (more than the long, brisk walks I currently enjoy).

So here’s to Day 2. May the water be plentiful and breakfast come quickly. Three hours to go…